This was a great assignment -probably a little biased as I have worked the past few years as a Head of Curriculum in a primary school setting. I scored 12/15 for Part A and 25/25 for Part B – best result in the course so far. Feedback for Part B “Janelle, What you have provided in Part B is a quality overview of your selection process coupled with an excellent selection and descriptions of 10 new resources. Congratulations on a fine effort.”
Part A – Context and needs
- Identify an aspect of the curriculum (e.g. a unit of work or topic, or part of a unit of work or topic) in a school with which you are familiar that is not adequately resourced by the school library, but where the situation can be appropriately addressed by the addition of ten new resources (this situation should be factual, if possible, but can be hypothetical).
- Provide a clear, pertinent overview of the chosen aspect of the curriculum, and clearly and analytically overview the nature of the resources needed to meet the goals, support the content, and achieve the desired outcomes of the selected aspect of the curriculum.
- Clearly and analytically identify any other information/resource needs created by the characteristics of the school, the students who study this aspect of the curriculum and the teachers who teach it.
- Provide a clear, pertinent overview of resources already available through or within the school library that are relevant to this aspect of the curriculum. Clearly and analytically identify how these resources do not adequately meet the needs of the chosen aspect of the curriculum and/or the needs created by the characteristics of the school, the student body
Part B – Selection and acquisition processes and outcomes
- Drawing upon your studies for this subject, determine, apply, describe and justify the selection and (potential) acquisition processes employed to select and make accessible ten resources to appropriately resource the selected aspect of the curriculum within the context given in part A.
- These processes should clearly reflect the considered use of appropriate professional literature and a range of professional tools. Your selection processes should clearly identify and describe the use of any lists of resources, bibliographies, or collections of online resources drawn upon in selecting and acquiring the ten resources that was provided with, or already created for, the selected aspect of the curriculum. (15 marks)
- Clearly identify the ten resources by giving a bibliographic description of each item using the APA style you are using for referencing.
- At least six of the resources should be available for use online They may, for example, be digital learning objects, digital collections, e-books or e-journals as well as websites.
- Clearly identify the sources where these resources can be currently accessed or acquired from and why these sources would be used. Clearly specify how these resources (individually or as a group) will adequately complete the resourcing of the selected aspect of the curriculum within the context given in part A. (10 marks)
- The purpose of Part B is to provide you with the opportunity to clearly demonstrate the practical and theoretical knowledge and understanding you have acquired of the principles of selection and acquisition and the wide range of professional tools and resources available in this area.